Newspaper Story: Our client Brenda Bot, President Of Salad Creations Canada discussed 10 GREAT SUMMER SALAD IDEAS and HOW YOUR KITCHEN CAN HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT THIS SUMMER
10 GREAT SUMMER SALAD IDEAS
By ISeiberling Fri, May 14 2010
Foodies love to share recipe ideas. Gotta love it! Here are 10 great summer salad ideas from Brenda Bot of Salad Creations in Toronto:
1) Lighten Up Wrap: Spring Mix, Cheddar Cheese, Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Red Onions, Chickpeas, Grilled Chicken, Suggested Dressing: Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
2) Summer Fling: Spring Mix, Strawberries, Roasted Red Peppers. Portobello Mushrooms, Asparagus, Goat Cheese, Almonds, Grilled Chicken
Suggested Dressing: Balsamic Vinaigrette
3) Backyard BBQ: Romaine, Tomatoes, Red Onion, Roasted Red Pepper, Corn, Cheddar Cheese, BBQ Chicken. Suggested Dressing: Parmesan Caesar Vinaigrette
4) Sizzling Sun: Romaine, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Tuna, Whole Wheat Pita Bread , Suggested Dressing: Olive Oil, Lemon Juice
5) Tempting Tasting Tofu: Spinach, Tofu, Carrots, Tomato, Broccoli, Cucumber
Honey Roasted Pecans, Raisins. Suggested Dressing: Honey Herb and Dijon
6) Surf N Turf: Romaine, Shrimp, Steak, Croutons, Roasted Red Peppers
Green Peppers. Suggested Dressing: Balsamic Vinaigrette
7) Vegan Splash: Spring Mix. Mango, Strawberry, Roasted Red Peppers,
Pecans. Suggested Dressing: Balsamic Vinaigrette
8) Beach Bunny: Spinach, Mandarins, Mango, Strawberry, Almonds
Goat Cheese. Suggested Dressing: Raspberry Vinaigrette
9) Adonis Watermelon: Spring Mix, Watermelon, Feta Cheese
Sunflower seeds, Cucumber. Suggested Dressing: Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil and Lemon Juice
10) Spring Chicken: Spinach, Mandarins, Almonds, Cucumber, Tarragon Chicken Salad. Suggested Dressing: Sherry Herb Vinaigrette
Top 10 Tips and Tricks on how your kitchen can help you lose weight this summer
By ISeiberling Fri, May 14 2010
Summer is here and healthy eating can sometimes become a concern as people tend to eat more when good weather arrives. They may indulge when they head to the cottage, or when they have lots of friends and family over for an outdoor barbecue or perhaps eat that extra dessert at dinnertime.
With that in mind, Brenda Bot of Salad Creations in Toronto says she wants everyone to stay slim and healthy this summer, so she has put together her Top 10 Tips and Tricks on How Your Kitchen Can Help You Lose weight . Here they are:
1) Clear out the clutter. Countertops should be restricted to food preparation only, reserve alternative spaces for the storage of supplies and gadgets. Organizing your kitchen will help you make healthier food choices.
2) Store snacks in hard-to-reach places. Keep those tempting snacks out of sight; store them at the top shelf of cabinets. Once they are out of sight they will be out of mind. Also, keep second helpings off of the table. Ehen you have to inconvenience yourself, it gives you time to ask yourself if you need it.
3) Overload your spice rack. New studies have shown that boosting the flavour of food can contribute to weight loss. Seasoning food adds low-calorie flavour, and a burst of taste. Smelling the food before you eat it may make you feel full sooner, which leads to eating fewer calories.
4) Invest in a new cook top. In a society where time is limited, quick meals are on everyone’s minds. Skip pre-packaged foods and opt for preparing healthy fresh meals. Studies have shown that those who choose so-called convenience foods didn’t get dinner on the table any faster. To speed up healthy home cooking, consider a new induction cook top. This new technology uses electromagnetic energy to heat pans faster. An induction cook top can boil water in half the time of an electric or gas stove, which is certainly something to celebrate.
5. Glass half empty or half full? Choose short, wide glasses for healthy beverages you want to drink more of, such as water. Use tall and narrow glasses for higher-calorie beverages such as juice, pop and beer. Research has shown that people poured more pop or juice into a short, wide glass than a tall, narrow one.
6) Use a small plate. Changing the size of plates and bowls we use can contribute to choosing smaller portions. When we use a large plate, they make the food look small. However, when using a small plate, we perceive that we’re getting more food. So ditch those huge plates and use salad or lunch-sized plates for every meal.
7) Turn off the tube. Watching television while eating causes mindless overeating, Studies have shown that those who watch 20 hours or more of television per week are classified as obese. Replace the television during a meal, with conversation with loved ones.
8) Colour your world. The colour of the room you’re in dictates your mood and appetite. Warm colours increase appetite, avoid painting your kitchen red, orange or yellow to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Cool colours decrease ones appetite, so make over your kitchen in blues and violets to encourage your healthy eating habits.
9) Make use of kitchen measuring gadgets. Utilize your drawer full of kitchen gadgets. Implement measuring tools to properly portion servings.
10) Prepare ahead of time. Planning is a key to eating healthy. Utilize time spent in the evening in your kitchen to plan and prepare veggies for meals for the week. You can store these items in your fridge for future use.